Skip to content
Osteopenia at 35
NJ001 posted:
I was diagnose with Osteopenia in my spine. My hip is good. I am 35 year old male. I started taken magnesium, calcium and Vitamin D every day and started doing 30 minutes of walking for about 3-4 times for the week. Also, stop drinking caffeine tea.

I feel after my doctor told me I have Osteopenia, I lost focus on my work and future goals.

Could I get feedback on how anyone dealt with this in their 30s.

bonebabe responded:
What this means is that you have low bone density. Osteopenia is not a diagnosis, but a condition. At 35, you've probably already built up your maximum bone mass. Now you have to preserve what you've built.

Normally low bone density in a male as young as you is a result of either a) not having built up a good bone mass during your bone forming years, b) the use of bone depleting medications like prednisone, anti seizure meds, etc, or c) secondary to another condition/illness you have.

Why did your doctor refer you for a DXA in the first place. It's very unusual for your age/sex. You'd be looking at Z-scores, not T-scores - that is, your bone density is being compared to other males your age. If your score is on the medium to low side, I'd ask the doctor why he isn't running some other tests to find out why,unless he already knows because one of the above criteria.

NJ001 replied to bonebabe's response:
My blood work results showed vitamin D and Calcium deficiency and my doctor recommend I take DXA. I have a follow-up appointment next 3 months for more blood work.

PatHB replied to NJ001's response:
NJ! Get the scan done. The scan is easy, painless, fast. Go to a a University Med Center- or newest one you can find where they will have top machine. You wear a gown, lay on a black table about the size of a ping-pong table and a scan bar moves over top of you controlled by the tech. Took longer to change my clothes than for the scan.

You're young. This is just a flag not a stop sign. No reason whatsoever for this to affect your hope in your future. It's a thing. That's all. Get the scan done. Get out of your head and back in your life.

An_250567 responded:
Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? I am newly dx'd with Hashimoto hypothyroidism and know it plays a role in bone density, calcium, vitamin d and much more. I just had a DEXA this week and learned I have osteopenia. Hopefully between proactive measures to slow and regain bone density and treating the hypo, this will not progress very much. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website