Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe Osteoporosis & Compression Fractures
Janemarie91 posted:
I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis a few years ago after having a compression fracture at T 12. I'm 62 years young, taking Forteo injections every day. I had Kyphoplasty back in 2010 when I fractured the T 12.
I had an MRI done recently which showed the T 12 was crumbling and because of that, the T 10 & T 8 are now affected. My spine looks very curved on an x-ray. I also had surgery on L3/4 & L 4/5, and now I am having severe pain at the S1 joint.
I just want to know, what is the future going to have in store for me? I know that's a loaded question, but has anyone else ever been to the place I'm at with Osteoporosis? I had to quit my job and I get some exercise walking. Just to know there is someone out there that may be experiencing something similar, and how you are handling it on a day by day basis. Two years ago I was very active, and could do most anything.

bonebabe responded:
I am so sorry to hear this, but if it makes you feel not so alone, many people who've had a compression fracture have this problem. When one vertebra fractures, it puts pressure on the adjacent ones. If the bones are already thin or thinning, they too will fracture under the increased pressure.

You're doing the right thing with the Forteo. It will grow you new bone. It is important that you take a bisphosphonate when you finish the Forteo to strengthen your new bone.

I also would suggest getting with a physical therapist for some exercise to strengthen your back muscles to further support your spine. Also double check your calcium consumption that you're getting 1200 mg spread out throughout the day. This is the time, when you're on meds that need calcium in order to perform, that you really need to make sure you're getting that calcium.

This is the point I try again and again to stress to those who "are doing fine and have never had a fracture" who shy away from the meds. There is no turning back once you fracture. It is very painful and it changes your life. There are times when you need more help than the natural approach can give you.

The more you move (correctly - no bending or twisting the spine) and the more those back muscles strengthen, you will get some relief. I wish I could say that doing those things would end or better, reverse, your problems, but I can't. You will always have problems, but overall your pain should be better tolerated.

In addition to the muscle strengthening, you would also benefit from PT instruction on ADL's (Activities of Daily Living.) They can show you how to get into and out of a car, grocery shop, do housework and/or gardening, sneeze, etc. in order to avoid another fracture. This should also give you a better path to becoming active again, but safely.

I've seen several dozen women like you who've gone through our rehab and education classes who swear that their quality of life has improved simply by doing these things. It's very important to them. On the flip side of the coin. we have lots more who say they wish they'd not waited so long to do something when they learned they had "only osteopenia."

Please keep up apprised of your progress (and you will progress). You can also look at the NOF website (www.nof.org ) for an osteoporosis support group near you.

Janemarie91 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you so much for responding to my mail, bonebabe.
I am taking my calcium and vitamin D3 every day, and then my Forteo I inject every day.
I am getting an injection into my S1 on the 29th of this month, and hope to get some relief with the nerve. Right now, that pain is the biggest thing keeping me from going forward at the moment. I hope it helps.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website