Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question On Calcium Intake ?
Janemarie91 posted:
I think I have been going about this all wrong. I take Citracal every day, plus I'm on Forteo Injections. I have Osteoporosis with compression fractures plus soft bones.
On the bottle it says a serving is 2 tablets = 400 mg. For some reason for the past many months I have thought it was 400 for each tablet, and had been taking 3 petite tabs per day total, thinking I was getting 1,200 mg per day. After reading the bottle, apparently I have only been getting 600 mg per day, which is way under what I think I should have been taking. Anyone else as confused as I was about this?

bonebabe responded:
It can be very confusing. That's why we tell our patients to either read the labels very carefully or bring their supplement by to show us.

For most calcium citrate supplements, the serving size is 2 tablets. The bottle will state how many mgs in a serving size. You are correct. That is 2 tablets. If your serving size = 400 mg, you would, indeed, need to take 6 tablets a day to get in 1200 mg.

Calcium carbonate supplements are usually one tablet equaling 600 mg, therefore, 2 tablets a day would equal your 1200 mg. However, calcium carbonates can be constipating so many people opt for the calcium citrate for this reason.

Supplements are best absorbed with food and should be taken with plenty of water.

And remember, they are supplements and are used to supplement your dietary calcium to bring it up to 1200 mg/day.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website