Skip to content
Can I stand with Osteoporosis
Aaron7 posted:
I've been using a wheelchair for 32 years because of a spinal cord injury. I have osteoporosis in my femurs at -5.7 and none in my spine. I have learned recently that I can get a wheelchair that will stand me up and hold me there. I was wondering if my femurs and feet would be able to take the pressure. I'm 6'5" and 205 pounds and 58 years old. There would be no walking just standing.

bonebabe responded:
I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor and a physical therapist. Your bones are very weak as you know. It might be that you could gradually progress to standing by first doing some type of movement or weights with your legs.

An_251897 responded:
You may want to start with a dual-purpose device such as a wheelchair-rollator combo. A rollator is a rolling walker with four usually large wheels, brakes, a seat, basket and backrest.

There is very good one called a "Duet" that has drawn rave reviews for it's light weight, ease in which it can be converted from a wheelchair to a rollator and vice versa, as well as it's affordable price (it costs less than most wheelchairs and only slightly more than a standard rollator).

This way, you've got both available to you should the need for either/or/both arise depending upon the situation.

Here is a more in-depth article about the device: http://www.transportwheelchairs.net/1/post/2011/12/transport-chair-rollator.html

Further information can be found here: http://www.eganmedical.com/2-in-1-Transport-Chair-Rollator-p/memb-795.htm

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website