Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Forteo Not Working After 1 year
An_251719 posted:
Has anyone had the problem of Forteo injections not working? I am 55, and I've been on it for 1 year and have seen no improvement on my bone density scan.

bonebabe responded:
Yes, but it is very rare and usually the result of some underlying medical issue or the patient not consuming enough calcium while on the medication.

I would not expect to see much, if any, improvement after a year. You should wait two years to have a scan, the reason being that bone is very very slow to respond to change. Unless you're on prednisone, bone density scans are most reliable when done at least two years apart. Don't be disheartened!

Banana3 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you, that gives me some hope. The doctor did instruct me to keep taking calcium, 1800mg per day, which I do, I just didn't realize that the dosage should be split up throughout the day and taken with food. I really appreciate your opinion

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website