Skip to content
Weight Loss
JoeZO posted:
I start losing weight after getting a bad cholestral reading and changed my diet and am now down to 160 lbs from 200. I keep getting warn by my WiiFit that I maybe losing weight to fast. Now my wife is worried that I don't get enough calcium. She gave me an article from health smart about Osteoporosis
I stopped using 1/2 and 1/2 for my coffee and started using 2%, I eat mostly fruit and vegetables.
Should I be concerned?

bonebabe responded:
Yes.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Now pay attention to your bones.

Very few people get enough calcium in their bodies on a daily basis. You can go to the NOF website (www.nof.org ) to get a list of calcium amounts in most foods. If you want to track how much you're actually getting for a few days this will give you an idea of your consumption. Remember though, that the body will only absorb at most 500-600 mg at a time. So if you load up with cereal with milk, half and half, cheese for breakfast, while you might think you're getting 1000 mg, you're only actually benefitting from 600.

It would probably be a good idea for you to take a calcium supplement once a day. Read the label carefully to see whether the dosage is one or two tablets. I'd suggest taking it with supper or a bedtime snack. I think with your diet, one dose would be sufficient.

It's also important that you get a supplement with Vit D added. I'm assuming you take a multivitamin. Those should give you enough D to get the calcium to your bones.

Thank your wife.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website