Skip to content
Prolea
fifics2 posted:
I've had pretty severe osteoporosis since menopause, when it was discovered. I've broken several discs in my back. After taking the same
med for all this time, my doc says it isn't doing me much good anymore
and wants me to take Prolea shots twice a year. I've researched the drug and to tell you the truth, I'm kind of scared about all the possible side effects at my age. I'm 73. What do you think about it?

bonebabe responded:
Prolia is usually given after other meds have been tried with no success.

With your history of vertebral fracture, you certainly don't want any more, but you're at an extremely high risk of having another.

Have you fractured since being on an osteo drug? We consider our patients to be responding to treatment if they have no further fractures and their scores do not significantly decrease. They're deemed stable in response to care.

If you have fractured and your scores have decreased significantly (as determined by the testing center's precision study) then I believe I would try another med. Either Prolia or Forteo. Your life with increasing fractures will be much much worse than any side effect of any medication - and there are no second chances once you fracture.

fifics2 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thanks for the help. You asked if I've had any more fractures, and
I'm not positive, but may have had another one in my cervical spine area. But bone density tests have shown that my hip bones as well as my shoulder bones are thinning. My doctor is
insisting on my having the shot, so the hospital is getting ready
for me to have the shot. I'm still worried about the side effects at my age, but like you mentioned, I guess I would be worried more
about another fracture, especially in my hip. Thanks again.

bonebabe replied to fifics2's response:
Absolutely you should follow your doctor's advice and take the shot.

Do you know that half of people who have an osteoporotic hip fracture will die from complications of that fracture in the first year following the fracture? I can't think of any medication side effect that is that bad.

I'm confused when you say bone density tests have shown that your shoulder bones are thinning. What kind of bone density test? The DXA only measures the lumbar spine, the total hip, the femoral neck and sometimes the wrist. I've not heard anything about shoulder bones - although all the bones in your body can thin when you lose bone density. But the testing measures the bone mass in the areas most likely to fracture, the back, the hips and the wrist.

Be sure to get in your calcium daily when you're on the medication so that you get the full benefit of it. Also get 1000-2000 IU of Vit D each day. Medicine won't work effectively without it.

Go forward with no second guessing or regrets. You're doing the right thing for your life.

fifics2 replied to bonebabe's response:
Hi. Just thot I'd let you know I was having a lot of pain in my shoulder, so got an xray on it. It showed the bones were thinning. Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website