Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Osteoporosis hereditary
MarkA1962 posted:
My mother is 76 with osteoporosis so bad that she's bed ridden. I'm a 50 year old male with degeneritve desk in my lower back and neck, I also have bulging desks. Could this be caused by Osteoporosis?

bonebabe responded:
No, however you are at greater risk for osteoporosis because your mother has it.

When you reach age 75, your chances of having osteoporosis are the same as those of a woman. In the meantime, if you have any other risk factors, such as low testosterone, long term corticosteroid or anti seizure meds use, a history of fracture after age 40, more than 3 alcoholic drinks a day, a height loss of greater than 1.5" or your mother or father having had a hip fracture, ask your doctor about getting a baseline bone density test. That way any bone loss you might have can be monitored and appropriate action taken.

When you do get the test, be sure that a scan of your forearm is included because of your back issues. The bone in your spine most likely will appear denser than it really is because of the arthritis and the tech will need to have two viable sights. It would also be good if your doctor ordered a VFA (Vertebral Fracture Assessment) to be done at the same time as the DXA. This is a lateral view of your complete spine that can detect any unknown fractures. If they look puzzled when you talk to them about the forearm and/or VFA, go elsewhere for your test.

sam1985 responded:
Read this article = http://www.memetics.com/useful-tips-to-prevent-the-onset-of-osteoporosis/

bonebabe responded:
No. However, osteoporosis is can also be hereditary. You might want to ask your doctor about having a bone density test or if you don't have any reimbursable reasons for that, have one of the ultrasound heel tests that are commonly used in some doctor offices, health fairs or mobile testing services. The average cost for this test is $50. If it shows low, that gives you a reimbursable reason to have the DXA. The heel test itself is not diagnostic, nor is it something that you would ever repeat.

As for your mom, I'm sorry to hear she's in such bad shape, but staying in the bed is the worst thing she can do unless there are other things going on. Inactivity will make her bones softer.

If she's not on a medication, see that she talks to her doctor about one. Also get her the booklet, "Boning up on Osteoporosis." It costs $1 and can be ordered online from the National Osteoporosis Foundation website - www.nof.org . It will give her and you some good reliable information and also examples of body movements to avoid and to make.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website