Skip to content
Osteoporosis -- >85
BarbaraOD posted:
My mother is 86 years old. She has had osteoporosis since 1999. She has lost 7 inches in height (she only started out at 5 foot 1 inch). She was on Fosamax for 12 years. It helped in the beginning but then seemed to stop working. Now she is just taking natural supplements.

She had a bone density test in August which showed Hip -2.8; Spine -3.6, Femoral -3.6 (in 2011 it was Hip: -2.2; Spine: -3.2; Fermoral: -3.6) The doctor wants her to try injections of Prolia which she is very nervous about -- she only weighs about 88 pounds. She is active and does walk on the treadmill every day.

Any suggestions?
bonebabe responded:
I'd ask him about Forteo first. She's at huge risk of further fractures and Forteo is the best. In the meantime, get her some PT in Body Mechanics, Posture and ADL's. It would be good if she could do some Balance exercises. The National Osteoporosis Foundation website ( ) has some pictures of movements. They also have a wonderful booklet for $1.00 called Boning Up on Osteoporosis that you can order. We use it as a supplement in our Osteo Education and Rehab classes.
CCHPosteoporoticfracture responded:
I think it is a good idea to check kidney function ( BUN and Cr) and electrical lytes ( include calcium) before using Prolia. Prolia can decrease bone resorption and increasing bone mass and strength in both cortical and trabecular bone. It is a SQ injection every 6 months. I think it is worth to try. This is a link for side affect:
It is good that your mother is active. Calicium with vitamin D and weight bear exercise are also recommended for treatement of osteoporosis.
CCHPosteoporoticfracture replied to CCHPosteoporoticfracture's response:
Forteo is a good choice too. I do not know if your mother can perform the SQ injection daily.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 47 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website