Skip to content
thin bones
annevemc posted:
I have been taking Actenol for years. I got a message from my doctor that my bone density scan was "very bad" I am 81 years old. What are my treatment options at this point.

bonebabe responded:
Need a little more info please.

By very bad, did he mean a significant decrease since your last scan or just the numbers themselves were low? What were your numbers? Have you have a nonviolent fracture? Are you on prednisone? Are you active or sedentary? Do you consume 1200 mg of calcium each day, with doses at least 4 hours apart? Are your Vit D levels normal and do you take a Vit D supplement? Did either of your parents break a hip?

These are all important questions to answer. The goal of bone density testing and medication is to reduce your fracture risk. The T-score is only a very small part of that equation. Having "very bad" numbers isn't in itself very bad. Also, if you take a medication for osteoporosis and don't consume enough calcium, the medicine doesn't have anything to work with and isn't effective.

Have you had a fracture since you've been taking the Actonel? If not, the medicine is working regardless of your numbers.

I can advise you more when I know the answers to my questions.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website