Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis with Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and anaemia
sumi1234 posted:
This is for a 55 year old woman with history of rheumatoid arthritis which was being treated . She was diagnosed with RA with osteoporosis and anaemia 3 months ago. There was swelling in the left knee and tenderness. No Dexa scan was done by the doctor.
Recently,there was a left protusio acetabulum. Degenerative change and osteophytes in both legs. She cannot walk or move properly right now (even adjusting knees while sleeping is painful).
The Dexa scan has a T core of -3.8 for left thigh bone i.e. in the red zone for the left thigh where the protusio acetabulum is also present. Doctor has said to wait a month for the open joint operation as the bones are too brittle right now. However she cannot even stay in bed without a lot of pain (despite medicines for pain, osteoarithritis, rheumatoid arithritis and supplements).

Please guide what else we can do as the doctor has not helped so far and the situation has worsened in 3 months from simple RA to this. Thanks

bonebabe responded:
Obviously this woman has a lot going on and is in a lot of pain. I don't think anyone in this community is qualified to address her problems.

I will say that I'm somewhat confused because you said the doctor didn't do a DXA scan, but then you give the results of a DXA. Also the postponing of an operation because the bones are too brittle doesn't make sense. The bones are not going to be any better in a month.

I'd suggest she see another rheumatologist for a second opinion and also discuss going on an osteoporosis medication. She can't risk breaking any bones.

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website