Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to turn bone loss around
Tinker4u posted:
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis a year ago. I made changes in my diet that were alkalizing. Ive taken high quality calcium and D. I've been walking daily and feeling good.

I was so shocked when I got the results from my bone scan. My L-Spine BMD -4.3 T-Score, as my hip -2.8. FRAX 13% hip 2.9%

I'm ready to start taking medication and I'm meeting with two rheumatologists this week. I don't know what questions I should ask.

bonebabe responded:
Yes, you need a medication. It's the only thing that will work for you. Forget FRAX. It's designed to predict fracture risk in patients in the osteopenic range only - not osteoporosis.

Go to the NOF website - www.nof.org . There is a patient education handout that you can read or print out specifically on what questions to ask your doctor.

If you have GERD issues or regular heartburn, I'd stay away from the oral meds and go towards the Reclast. However, your numbers are very low. If you've already sustained a fracture after age 40, are not on hormones and are over age 65, I'd ask him about Forteo.

Make sure you get your 1200 mg of calcium and 1000 IU of Vit D each day, otherwise any medication you take will not work.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website