Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Radioulnar Synostosis in athletes
greenmtnmom posted:
Our daughter was diagnosed with "fused elbow bones" around the age of 7, when we discovered she couldn't throw a frisbee "properly" or hold her pencil to write legibly. After the doc said not to worry much since it wasn't causing her pain or interfering with anything important, we let it go...when she was 8, she joined our local Parks & Rec wrestling team and we began to watch the elbow much more closely.

She is now 15 and starting her freshman year on the varsity team -- and this issue is back to haunt us. Push ups cause her extreme pain, and there are a few moves she either cannot execute at all or has to adjust her body to work around the elbow.

She has fusion in both elbows, but the right is far more pronounced.

What I need to learn: are there exercises she can do that do not involve compression of the elbow joint? She's tried "knee pushups," and they aren't as painful, but they also aren't as effective. She's going to start the hammer curls with small weights at home, but we're having issues with the resistance band exercises her physical therapist gave us earlier this week.

She's not going to stop wrestling, but we're very leery of surgery -- this is a complex joint and we don't want to weaken it further or go through the surgery and not come out with increased range of motion.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

Helpful Tips

shoes
bought many kinds of shoes to help my feet and leg pain. I finally found that Merrell offered the kind of sole and insole that almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website