Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Broken Foot
rsdspain posted:
I broke my 5th metatarsal on Friday (day after Thanksgiving). My legs went to sleep and I didn't realize it. Went to stand up and bam! My first break, too! My problem is my left/leg foot is already messed up from a botched bunion surgery (have RSD as a result). JUST has a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator removed from my Left thigh (battery from front and electrodes from back/sciatic nerve) so I'm not quite healed yet)... SO I guess the way I was sitting put my legs to sleep??!! ANYWAY my PCP put me in just a surgical shoe. I don't think in my case this is such a great idea. How is the bone supposed to heal if it's not really immobilized? I need that foot to help me balance (my left foot is pretty butchered from all the surgeries I've had). I see my Pain Dr. on Monday so I'm hoping she'll prescribe an actual cast or something a little more sturdy! Heck I can take it off to shower, how safe is that?!

bonebabe responded:
I believe an orthopedic boot is the standard treatment for this. I had the same thing and was in a boot for 8 weeks. Took it off to sleep, shower, etc. I felt that the boot gave me plenty of support, but I didn't have the other problems you do.

Ask the doctor about it when you go if you're not sold on the idea of the boot. I don't know the reason a cast isn't used except that it may just be inconvenient for most people's lifestyles and/or might be overkill for the injury.

stellagonzalez responded:
Oh that's been really sad to hear, since your post is 2 month old, so how are you feeling now, how's your leg?

abbymccluremyf responded:
I'm sorry about what happened to your foot,.. I hope you can an appropriate treatment or therapy to get back your foot. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website