Skip to content
What medication should I consider?
rhodasmom posted:
I had a bone density over 2 years ago and it showed that I had osteoporosis. I think my scores were -3.9 and -4.2. I took recast and I got a fever of over 101 the next day. I didn't call the doctor however because it said that this was one of the side effects. I know that I need to have another one. The doctor hasn't mentioned it to me. I also suffer with eczema very bad and have even had to take steroids so that I would stop itching. I am a 57 year old woman.

bonebabe responded:
Talk to your doctor about Forteo. It's the big guns of osteo treatment and your scores are really low. Have you fractured? If you have a history of steroid therapy of over 6 weeks, that's a huge risk for bone loss.

I think the Forteo is the way to go. You'll take it for two full years. It actually makes new bone. After the 2 years, you'll followup with a bisphosphonate treatment.

Make sure you're getting 1200 mg of calcium each day - taken several hours apart for best absorption.

Please go on the National Osteoporosis Website (www.nof.org ) and order their booklet "Boning Up on Osteoporosis." It costs $1.00 and will be a wonderful source of information for you. We use it in our osteo rehab classes.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website