Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis
met1955 posted:
I first stated out taking Actonel for 2 1/2 years which didn't work. I then took Forteo for 2 years only to find out that when I had my DEXA Scan my osteoporosis was significantly worse than my last test. Now my doctor is suggesting either Reclast or Prolia. If Forteo didn't work why would Reclast or Prolia work?

bonebabe responded:
Very very very few people who are on Forteo lose bone. Forteo is the only medication that actually grows bone. Has your doctor referred you for testing to see if your osteoporosis is secondary to something else going on? What is significantly worse? Did you have your test at the same place? Hopefully not a doctor's office? Did you consume 1200 mg of calcium taken several hours apart daily? No medicine will work properly if you don't give your body the calcium it needs to work. It would be like hiring a bricklayer and not giving him any bricks.

I wouldn't do the Reclast at this point. What are your T-scores? Have you fractured any bones after age 40? Do you take steroids or anti-seizure meds? The Prolia is to be used only after all other meds have been tried.

Sometimes you have to try many medications to find one that works for you. Just like with antibiotics or antidepressants. Everyone doesn't respond the same way to each drug.

But before you do anything else, I strongly urge you to find out if there's something else going on, if your density is truly suffering a significant (clinical definition of significant) measured loss.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website