Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prolia and auto immune disease
carolmary posted:
Have CREST syndrome with GERD and cannot take bisphosphonates. Have had Aridia infusions, Forteo doe 2 years (with excellent results), recast infusions for 3 years and the doctor wants to put me on prolia. The only thing that worked was Forteo, but they can't give it to me anymore. My last bone density was very bad, at high risk for fracture of hip, femur and lower spine. Had no side effects on all above medications,but after reading the reviews for prolia, I'm not so sure. I'm 66 years old. Doesn't seem that I have much choice I either suffer painful fractures or take my chances with side effects on prolia.

Is there another option out there. I'm worried that my auto immune disease might trigger an auto immune response which could kill me. Any thoughts?

bonebabe responded:
You need to go on something after completing Forteo treatment in order to strengthen the bone that Forteo made. Either Reclast or Prolia would be good options for you.

Sometimes there are no good choices about side effects of medication. You have to decide whether your risk of fracture is greater than a risk of possible side effects and make your best decision.

A vertebral fracture is permanent. There is no "cure" and no treatment. You do not want to deal with this. Choose a medication and make sure you consume 1200 mg of calcium each day so that the medication will work.

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website