Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up


We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Includes Expert Content
fireman1234 posted:
My mother just found out she has cervical cancer. She is 80 years of age, with limited mobility. What risk will increase in a 80 yr. who wants to have the hysterectomy?
Andrew Berchuck, MD responded:
Cervical cancer can be treated with surgery (hysterectomy) or radiation. Although surgery can be riskier for older folks, in many cases it is still the best approach to curing the cancer. Gynecologic Oncologists have special expertise and training in the management of Cervical Cancer. So it would be best if your mother was under the care of a Gyn Oncologist who could help decide the best treatment. A directory of Gyn Oncologists can be found under the "Find a Doctor" tab in the Women's Cancer Network Web site ( ).

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center