Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up


We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Includes Expert Content
sammymarie12 posted:
a friend of my step father developed overian cancer 12 years ago and while stationed overseas, the overian cancer came back. she has had blood transfusion, spinal taps, last that Iearned she is suppose to get a bone marrow done. Now I looked into overian cancer, but once detected, don't they remove everything and start therapy with chemo? how exactly does overian cancer come back? now I also learned that this time around the cancer is as aggressive as it can be, so exactly what type of cancer is this? cause it just can't be overian? please help me get understanding on this.
Andrew Berchuck, MD responded:
Unfortunately, ovarian cancer can recurr after a woman is in remission for several years. Cancer cells in the abdominal cavity can regrow even though it was thought that the cancer was completely treated initially. The best advice for any woman with ovarian cancer is to find a Gynecologic Oncologist. The treatment of ovarian cancer involves surgery, chemotherapy and other approaches. Gynecologic Oncologists have special training and expertise in the managment of ovarian cancer. So hope your friend is under the care of a Gyn Oncologist. A director of Gyn Oncologists can be found under the "Find a Doctor" tab in the Women's Cancer Network web site ( )

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center