Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

14 cm Ovarian cyst removed along with Ovary.
An_223893 posted:
Hi! I'm 18 years old and recently just had to have sudden emergency surgery last Friday to remove a 14 cm cyst I didn't even know I had! I woke up Friday morning with HORRIBLE pain/vomiting and had to urge my mom to take me to a medical facility as soon as possible. It turned out I had a large cyst that had caused my ovary to become twisted. They were hoping to save the ovary but it was completely dead. My doctor also told me that my other ovary has endometriosis and I'll have to start birth control to save it. I have a check up appointment Wednesday but I have so many questions that I just cant wait until then to be answered.
Here are all my questions:

Why do I need to start taking birth control to save the other ovary? What does birth control do it protect the ovary from having the same thing happen to it?
Am I at risk for ovarian cancer?
Are they testing the cyst to see if it is cancerous? Or are ovarian cysts usually not cancerous?
My doctor said my chances of ever conceiving are 25%. Since I lost one ovary why wouldn't the chances be 50%? Is the number so low because of the issue with my other ovary?
What causes ovarian cysts? Was there anything I could of done to prevent it?

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome,

There is no expert here that can address all these question, but I urge you to call your doctors office and share your concerns and questions for sure.
Also do a search here on WebMD for some information.
Here is a Ovarian Cysts Overview for you.
I hope that helps.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center