Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

extreme kidney pain with ruptured ovarian cyst
nicolemhm823 posted:
My daughter is 16. She has had elevating kidney pain and some abdomen pain (around appendix area) for 2 weeks. We took her to the doctor. They performed an ultrasound. It showed an ovarian cyst had ruptured and another one was forming. We took her to the emergency room last night. Her blood work was completely normal. She had a catscan which was also completely normal. And a pelvic exam that was completely normal. Her symptoms conclude of fever, extreme coldness (to the point that she can't stop shaking), extreme kidney pain (mostly on right side, some on left), naseua, and elevated heart rate. She is so much pain that she can't walk or move. Any ideas on what it might be? Thank you.

An_223894 responded:
I just went through this same thing last Wed at 1:00 AM in the ER. Everything normal, except horrible pain. I have had ten kidney stones that needed lithotriptcy(?). They never pass on their own. This feels just like a kidney problem, but it isn't. My pain level was a 9. CAT was normal, blood normal. Yet so much pain even two Vicodin will not take it away. As soon as the ER pain medication wore off, pain was back again. Very cold too. Shaking. All the same. No answer yet. Getting the CA125 blood test and seeing OBGYN tomarrow. Already have one ovary out. Just wondering if this much pain can be a sign of ovarian cancer. Constipation is being blamed, but something is causing me to be that way. I have not read much about a lot of pain with ovarian cancer yet. But, your entry nicolemhm823 is exactly like me. I wish your daughter the best.
PS My kidney stones would only show up in dye tests. One lodged and shut down one kidney so the other took over. Making me not feel the pain, or have blood in my urin, but it infected so bad that I almost died. They had to do an emergency surgery on kidney. So, do make sure it is not kidney stones. You don't have to have screaming pain to have a dangerous kidney stone. However, my symtoms are the same as your daughters, and I do not have a kidney stone at this time. Pain right now making me have to sign off. Just had to see what type of ovary problems cause pain other than cycsts. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center