Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Partial hysterectomy at 26 now 58 still have ovaries
An_223895 posted:
I had a "partial" hysterectomy at the age of 26 yrs old. They left my ovaries because of my age. I did begin hormone therapy about the age of 35-40...but have taken them off and on throughout the years.
I have a terrible fear of having ovarian cancer, over the past 10 yrs. I had a friend that had the same scenario as mine. She went to a doctor for flu like symptoms after not going to a doctor for a pap smear in over 10 yrs. They found she did have cancer of the ovary and she died 6 weeks later.

For about 2 weeks I have had terrible nausea, feeling of needing to throw up, can't eat or drink anything but a few crackers and water, insomnia and depression worse than usual. I am under care for chronic and acute depression. I feel bloated my digestive system seems a bit upset. ( do have ulcerative colitis since I was 22 yrs old. I haven't been to have it checked for 16 yrs. I feel I deal with it and feel for the most part that I have it in remission...with a few flair ups here and there.

I had a large lump in my breasts checked thoroughly by an oncologist about 1 yr. ago. MRI, Sonogram, bone density test, and was supposed to go back in three months, which I didn't. I have had fibrocystic disease for year and years.

I am trying to find out what the symptoms of ovarian cancer are...and if this nausea, can't eat or drink anything other than water and crackers, upset stomach, being bloated, just recently have the urge to urinate frequently and sometimes can't hold it, all of this for a close to weeks could be symptoms of ovarian cancer.

Can anyone help me out with these symptoms and questions?

stit1960 responded:
I read your post and have the same symptoms and history as you. Partial hysterectomy at 37. I am now 53 and worried I have ovarian cancer. My GP did not feel the need to do a pelvic on me during my last annual physical. Concerned about my "increased gas", constipation and loss of appetite, I am now referring myself to an OB GYN where I will demand a pelvic exam, abdominal US, and CA-125 blood test which will up my odds of diagnosing this "silent but deadly" female disease. I hope my advise helps both of us.

Anon_6061 replied to stit1960's response:
Sorry to hear about your symptoms. You didn't say if you're pre- or post-menopausal but the CA-125 isn't accurate in pre-menopausal women. It's possible you have some ovarian cysts which are very common (and even more so in women who've had a hysterectomy) but RARELY are cysts cancerous. Here's a good link - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

Also bowel issues, especially constipation, are common after hysterectomy due to the repositioning of the bowels. And digestive issues and loss of appetite are common during the perimenopausal and menopausal years. So your symptoms may well have nothing to do with ovarian cancer. But best to have them checked out.

I forgot to mention that a woman's lifetime risk of OC is less than 2% and hysterectomy makes you even less apt to get OC.

claudiapaz replied to stit1960's response:
Dear stit1960,
We have a similar history. Have my uterus removed at age 38. know at 50 my routine ultrason show this cyst bilateral and makes me worry. Doctor said nothing to worry about and to ck again 6 months from now. Let me know the outcome of your result? please. I do hope for the best for all of us but can't sit around just waiting.

Anon_6061 replied to claudiapaz's response:
Glad to hear your doctor said you have nothing to worry about. Sounds like they must be simple cysts.

After my ovaries were unnecessarily removed for a benign cyst on one of them, I recall reading that malignant cysts are usually unilateral (on only one ovary). Ovarian cysts are very common and usually don't require treatment even in post-menopausal women - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

I've also read that women who've had hysterectomies are even more prone to developing ovarian cysts but their risk of ovarian cancer is even less than it is for intact women. It's less than 2% (I think they say 1.7%) for women at normal risk (no family history). So it would be even less for you.

stit1960 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Hi. I did talk to my gyno and he backed me down off the tests. Did some hormonal tests which show I am POST menopausal. He said the gas is most likely due to changes in the digestive tract due to decline of certain hormones. I had a colonoscopy a year ago and everything was normal except a little melanosis due to too many laxatives to treat the constipation. I found that Mirilax helps the constipation but causes HORRENDOUS gas. Still feel bloated and tired. Periods of loss of appetite. I find when I quit worrying about it so much, my symptoms get a little better. Hmmm cyberchondria?

Interesting about the loss of appetite. I lost my appetite after my hysterectomy 7 years ago and it's never returned. And food just doesn't taste as good except for sweets for the most part. I can easily skip meals and never feel hungry whereas in the past my stomach would be growling. It's as if my "hunger mechanism" is broken. I've had bowel changes too so don't know if the main cause is from that or the hormonal changes.

yooper1 responded:
Your symptoms are exactly what mine are. I had a full hysterectomy. Cancer runs in my family from way back. My mother died of cancer when she was in her forties. I don't know if the genes are inherited, but it certainly seems like it . My sister had cervical cancer. She's alive and the cancer never returned so far. I've had bouts with skin cancer. So many taken off . It happened when I was younger and in sun all the time. I paid for it with scars all over my body from surgeries to remove them. My sister also has had bouts of skin cancer. I wonder if people of color get much skin cancer?
My stomach is big, I'm have nausea, bloating, frequent urination. I'm not sure about my frequent urination because my
bladder is protruding into my lower urinary opening, which is another operation.
Keep in touch. (goetzville1@yahoo.com )

Anon_6061 replied to yooper1's response:
Yooper - Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Both hysterectomy and menopause can do a number on digestion. And the changes to the anatomy after hysterectomy cause our bellies to protrude.

I'm sorry your bladder is prolapsed and you have to have another surgery. I worry about that. How long ago was your hysterectomy?

Anon_6061 replied to Anon_6061's response:
How stupid of me! "How long ago was your hysterectomy" is obvious from the title of the post. I apologize for my oversight.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center