Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

How to determine?
casper128 posted:
Can a pelvic ultrasound determine ovarian cancer? And was anyone misdiagnosed?

2devils responded:
I am not sure if this helps or not cause I am in tears not understanding what is going on. I had an ultrasound last Wednesday and it showed immidiately that I had ovarian cancer on an ovary that I thought was gone. I had a total hysterectomy three years ago. I am 32, and pretty young to have all that happen. In 1996 I had a basketball size tumor removed from my left ovary and was never supposed to be able to conceive. 2 children later the cancer came back only this time in my right fallopian tube. So I had a hysterectomy. So when I was having pain last week I was scheduled for an ultrasound last Wednesday. I was immediately told I had one very large tumor and 2 cysts that ate the right ovary. The doctors were so concerned they got me into a gynecologist surgeon on Monday. Which was yesterday. I brought my mom and my youngest son with me to this appointment. I looked at the ultrasound and he did a complete work up on me. He said he actually felt the tumor in me. He figured it was the size of a soft ball. Then he told us that they don't mess with this kind of fast growing cancer and he refered me to Mayo. I was scheduled to see the cancer surgeon at Mayo tomorrow which is Wednesday. This morning I underwent a CT-scan with contrast. I get a call tonight at 5:15 from my family practice doctor who never saw me through any of this. He said what appeared on the ultrasound was now gone on the CT=scan. I am so confused that 7 hours earlier I was going to fight my heart out at beating cancer for my kids and now I am told there is nothing there. What if it was cancer and it broke and now is spreading throughout my body. What if between the three hospitals I have been to gave me someone elses images? I believe in miracles, but I am also a realist and I am beside myself right now. I mean from going to not knowing I had an ovary, to it being cancerous, then to planning on dying, to now there is nothing there does not seam real at all. For one doctor to tell you that not only was the tumor visible in the ultrasound but he felt it to now 7 hours later it not being there when I was finally accepting what was going on in my body. I can handle cancer. I can handle anything, but this is way to much for me to even fathem. Any help or advice would be great. I am still going to the surgeon tomorrow because I want this ovary out. I can't mentally go through this again.

LucileB replied to 2devils's response:
although I see the date on your post is aged, I hope you have found some answers and are well. Just never forget, doctors are just people and although educated as best humankind knows at the present time, they are only making "educated guesses".... and every doctor has different opinions depending on their life experiences, and when people are insecure with their opinions they oftentimes pass the issue on to someone else so that they do not bear the responsibility if things are not as they guessed. But most of all, the fact of life is that we are all "planning on dying"... we just don't know when, where, or how it will take place. You are as likely to be hit by a truck crossing your own street as dying of cancer. Live each day to its fullest. Revel in the fact that you have 2 beautiful children to wake up to each day. Life is too short for grief. No worries, in the end it won't have made a difference anyway.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center