Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

27 and diagnosed with ovarian cancer
brandyl27 posted:
hi just thought i'd chat with other's who are going through the same thing.... i'm terrified some days and other's im optimistic...this whole wait and see sucks to be honest

An_223899 responded:
Hi, my name is Annette, 20 month, Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer Survivor, when I was first diagnosed, If you have any questions and I can help please feel free to send me questions and I'll share my story if you'd like.

1Phyl replied to An_223899's response:
Hi Annette, my friend just had surgery for Stage 3 Ovarian Ca, she is scheduled for radiation. The Dr's said this was a precaution, because they thought they removed all cancer cells. Did you have surgery or any other treatments. My friend really needs to reach out to others, but she doesn't know where to begin. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all and any you may share. 1Phyl

sjhnorris51 responded:
My best to you. It sounds like you have just been diagnosed. What treatments are they recommending? What kind of support to you have? Make sure you take someone with you for your appointments. Otherwise it is too overwhelming to remember everything - even when to show up for appointments. My thought are with you as you go down this tough journey. I've been through chemotherapy but for a different type of cancer and the treatments are all different. Good luck.

annshay replied to 1Phyl's response:
Hi, My name is Linda and I just completed one full year of chemo after being diagnosed with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. I had a complete Hys. plus ovaries in Nov 2009, started Chemo in Dec. 2009. Will be getting a pet scan on the 17th of Jan. As my body became resistant to the first three drugs, I was put on 12 does of Topotecan, which seemed to work better. I did tolerate the treatments fairly well, as I continue to play tennis, swim and a few other activities. Mind over matter....it helps to stay phisical. You Can Do It...

CMC1234 responded:
Hi, my name is Carolyn, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Ovarian Cancer on April 7, 2008. It is the worst roller coaster ride you will ever make. I have a book by Michael Shirk "Excerpts From A Journey I Did Not Plan to Take. It has helped me a lot even just the title. The best thing I can tell you is have a strong faith, a good Doctor that you trust and you can talk to, make up your mind that you are going to live until you die and do everything you can in the meantime to live and get all you can out of life.If you would like to hear my long or short story feel free to write me. You are so right it sucks and some days you want to cover up your head and pretend that none of this is happening. 15 months ago my family Dr. told me I had months because I asked him and we are good friends and he knew why I wanted to know. Two months ago I told him that it had been over a year since he told me that and his answer was "What did I tell you, God makes liars of Doctors everyday. I just wish they would give Ovarian Cancer "The Silent Killer", the same type publicity that other cancers receive. I guess I am really mad because I had no idea of any warning signs and the fact that the GYN doesn't tell patients that their pap smear has nothing to do with ovarian cancer. Thanks for letting me sound off a bit. Do everything you can to live your life to the fullest and may God Bless You and your family. P.S. When friends and family offer their help don;t be afraid to take any assistance that they can give to make your life easier, better and more rewarding.

jarjarbanks replied to An_223899's response:
Hi Annette, I recently just had an cyst on my right ovary rupture. The pelvic ultrasound also showed a hemorragic cyst on my left ovary. I am 37 years old. I have been having quite a bit of abdominal bloating and constipation. I also have severe back pain as well as pelvic pain. My family practitioner wants to see me in a couple of weeks to see if the left cyst has resolved. I am anxious because I have had weight gain, water retention, pelvic pain, lower back pain, stomach pain, bloating and constipation. I have always been pretty regular and never had a weight problem. Could this be a sign of ovarian cancer?

1962jul replied to jarjarbanks's response:
Dear jarjarbanks I am a 48yr old female fighting Cancer now for almost 6yrs. I was diagonised in 2005 with 3rd stage level c Ovarian Cancer. I too only had pain in my lower left back. I do believe listening too my body save my life from this silent killer. Please see a Gynecologist immediately. Good luck to you.

rafferty81 responded:
Hi, I can totally relate to you. I recently turned 30, about to graduate with my doctorate, newly engaged and planning our wedding for next summer. Yet, in the last week my world has turned upside down! I am waiting for the test results from the ultrasound and blood test.I have the bloating feeling, low back pain, painful intercourse, and bladder pressure. Pretty scary stuff. I am trying not to think about what this could be, but it is hard not to go there. Hopefully we can help each other through this!

Colleen

desperate37 replied to CMC1234's response:
Hi Carolyn, how are you doing? I'm so glad you mentioned this book b/c it sounds like the exact book i need right now! I'm very sad and afraid.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center