Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Can someone please help me??
1136firelady posted:
Hi! I am hoping that I can get some answers before I go to the Dr Thursday so that I'm a bit more prepared.

I had an IUD placed May 8th, but by the end of Nov. I was having really bad periods, to the point I bled for 6 weeks (either spotting to flooding). My GYN took out my IUD on Dec 1st, but did not check for any infection or anything. He just mentioned that I seemed to be very tender and put me the Nuvaring. Well that ran my BP to 190/110 so I went off that and went back with even more symptoms. My GYN basically brushed me off of all concerns I had, yet said that I was a bit more tender than before. Well the symptoms I was TRYING to tell him was the following: I stay tired ALL the time, my stomach looks swollen, I'm nauseous most of the time, I have to run to the BR all night & day, and my periods are still "not right". Not to mention I have a history of ovarian cysts. Should I be concerned about ovarian cancer if it does not run in my family?

silvergirl38975 responded:
Yes, please be concerned as some of those symptoms are of ovarian cancer. That does not mean you have it of course. You need to have a thorough pelvic exam and a vaginal -ultra sound. If perhaps ovca is suspected a CA-125 blood test and then your gyn will go from there. A cat scan may be necessary as well. Ovca does not have to run in your family for you to have a dx. Do not let this doctor brush you off as this sometimes does happen. Be persistent. Be well, Jan (a 15 year survivor of ovca)

1136firelady replied to silvergirl38975's response:
thanks for the information. Now I don't feel like I'm crazy for being so worried about all this. I am still having issues with this other office that brushed me off. I go tomorrow afternoon and I have to admit I am very nervous about it. I have told my husband that I was not going alone. For one I don't know what to expect & plus if I do get "bad" news then I would have over an hour drive home.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center