Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Post ovarian (abdomenal) surgery lethargy?
An_223904 posted:
I had major ovarian/abdomenal surgery on January 3, 2011 and am still feeling lethargic. I have complained about this to the doctors and their main response is, "you had a huge surgery and it will take time to heal."

While I understand this response I see other patients on my Ongology Surgery wing flying around the halls as part of their recovery. My husband keeps telling me that their surgeries were not as severe as mine.

To fill you in, my surgery included the following: total omenomectomy, removal of both ovaries, fellopian tubes and uterous, removal of the ascending portion of my colon (due to tumors on the colon) and a large portion of the illeum which is where my chrons was most prevelant and had a bowel resection. I addition to all of that they had to vacumm my diaphram to remove tumors on the diaphram and in other places in my abdomen as well. I believe that is what took place during my surgery, which took 6 hours to complete.

Wow, when I put the surgery in writing it does sound severe or "huge" as the doctors continue to tell me.

I guess my main question is how long will this lethargy last?

I would entertain any and all advice on this topic. I look forward to your entries.

Thank you.

georgiagail responded:
It's likely going to take you a good six months to begin to feel like your old self.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center