Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Confused Ovarian Cysts/caner/or im going insane
brittany329008 posted:
I am twenty one in october i realized that i havn't had a period since july so i went to my obgyn and they told me i had simple cysts and i had to keep going back to get sonagrams they would disapear and come back well i had one period since then but during intercourse it does hurt and also i have pain in my lower abdomen i thought i was pregnant but im not my fiance came home and told me about his friends wife might have ovarian cancer so i looked it up and all my symptoms match but ive been to the obgyn wouldn't they have said something the last time ive been there was december

eleganse responded:
Brittany, first of all, I've been there. Ovarian Cancer is sometimes called the cancer that whispers. The symptoms can be vague, and it comes at you with very little warning. For me it was a weight loss of over 50 pounds and a concentration of fluid in my abdomen that crowded my lungs and caused me to be bloated and lethargic. I went to 2 different doctors who told me I had an ulcer and needed to eat more fiber. One prescribed anti depressants one prescribed Nexium... It took a ct scan at a good hospital to tell me in 5 min that I had Ovarian cancer. It was diagnosed as mucinious stage 3c.
I had a total and complete hysterectomy including removal of an appendix ready to burst, and my omentum... the surgeon also removed 24 clusters of lymph nodes which destroyed the lymph system... then I had 9 bouts of chemo...
that was 6 years ago.
my advice, go to the doctor, or emergency room, tell them you want a blood test called a ca125. It should cost you around 100.00 if it isnt covered by ins. If it is elevated, it is likely you do have Ovarian Cancer. Go to the best gynecological oncologist you can find... find out who has the best survival rates and sit on their doorstep... don't give up unil you get the care you need and deserve. You don't have to die from this stuff... let me know how you do.
Paula

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center