Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

confused??
mandy8607 posted:
After i had my second son my doctor told me i tested positive for ovarian cancer. Does this necessarily mean i have ovarian cancer? She didnt explain to me very well what this means. My son is 2 and since he has been born i had few incidents where i had cysts on my ovaries but went away in time. Just need a little more information on this have a appt in a few weeks to find out more. But would like to know now so i can know what questions to ask. thanks for the help

ShayPey responded:
Did they tell you this based on a CA125 test? If so, they give a false positive about 50% of the time. If not, I am curious to know what test they used. Myself I just took the CA125 and got a 71 result which lead to a referral to an oncologist.

Though after reading here & on Mayo clinic, I have found the test is considered unreliable. That being said, I have also read there is no way of actually diagnosing it without a biopsy. The CA125 is just used as an indicator.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center