Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Possible Ovarian Cancer/Cysts
Anon_238924 posted:
I am looking for anyone that might be able to tell em the differences in symptoms from ovarian cancer and ovarian/uterine cysts.

I am 28 years old, and have no family history of gyn/breast cancer- however, I have been going on 6 months of pelvic pressure, pain, night sweats, hip and lower back pain, irregular bleeding (mostly dark brown- currently bright red), digestive problems (fullness and bloating), urinary (frequency and urgency) and breast problems (feeling fullness, let downs like breast feeding, and swollen lymph nodes).

My gyn has ordered an ultrasound, since she believes it to be a cyst- and has given me pain relievers for the pain. Even that only masks the pain, and the pressure/bloating & other symptoms are still present. I have had a history of painless cysts (found during pregnancy ultrasound- the pain is in the same area).

My worries are that I have ovarian cancer, since my symptoms are so serious and aggressive. The pain makes it very difficult to sit, walk, or lay down. The ultrasound is in 3 weeks, and the results of my pap smear are due back in 2 days.

Are there any real markers for the difference in the two?

I have had 3 children, and breastfed for prolonged periods with 2 of them. Currently I have an Implanon Rod in my left arm as birth control, since having an IUD become infected and removed (required a 3 day hospital stay). The current pain resembles the pain from the infection, but there has not been a remarkable fever with this current pain.

Also, I have been having headaches, which I attribute to stress (very stressful career & home life).

Can anyone help me with this situation?

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center