Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

how many chemo treatments
marlou10 posted:
my mom is 81 years old, very late stages of ovarian cancer that seems to have spread to other areas. She has had a treatment aabout every three weeks foe almost two years. How many chemo treatments is enough? How many is normal? From the beginning, we have been told this is management issue there is no cure. So far no pain, just discomfort when stomach fills with fluid, When fluid is drained, about every three weeks she has a good week, then starts to go down hill again.

2010july responded:
My Mother at age 88 declined more treatment after 6 months. She also had no pain so we celebrated the good days and gave comfort on the bad ones. My Mothers heart was pretty much destroyed by the chemo and she very peacfully and painlessly passed on. I think if she had been younger and without heart valve problems she would have kept going. She had stage 4, also. Your Mom will have to decide how much is enough. The Oncologist wanted to give her more chemo after her first round but she declined. I would not count on the Oncologist to tell you when to stop. Prayers for you and your Mom. Hold her tight and when she has had enough be supportive of her decision.

marlou10 replied to 2010july's response:
thank you for your comments and thoughts

Swansony responded:
My mother is also 81 with stage 4 ovarian cancer. She has plurel effusion and I drain her lung sack every other day. She did her first chemo treatment last week and is feeling worse after chemo. She has been told there is no cure, the cancer has matastisized too far. I find myself wondering the same thing. She pondered over not doing chemo but the doctor influenced her to "try" it. I would love to hear how your mother is doing and what advice you might have for us at this point.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center