Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Terrified
tfyffe posted:
Had right ovary pain for a few years a couple days a month, then 3 months ago it was constant discomfort. They did vaginal ultrasound Monday, couldn't see ovary for mass, scheduled MRI for Tuesday, took 4 tubes of blood and I go back tomorrow for the results. Of course, I'm thinking cancer. I have had lower back discomfort, bloating, frequent urination, it seems I have most of the symtoms. I guess I just feel better discussion this with others who have been on both ends of this spectrum. I can't sleep, eat, think. I'm 47 and never been more afraid in my life. You think it always happens to someone else. Guess I'm just wondering how many ovarian tumors turn out to be something else or when the ovary is involved is it typically cancerous. Any thoughts or encouraging words out there?

someonewhocares3 responded:
So sorry you're dealing with this! If the mass is originating from the ovary and you have no family history of ovarian cancer then it's likely that the mass is benign. (A woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is less than 2%.) What did the MRI show?

I had a 9cm ovarian cystadenoma discovered via ultrasound and also had a CT scan. My gyn rushed me into surgery and removed the ovary as well as my other ovary and uterus even though the frozen section was benign. He should have only removed the cyst or the one ovary as recommended by the oncologist to whom he referred me for consultation. That was 5 years ago and I wish I had a do-over.

If surgery is recommended, be sure to understand what's going to be done and why. Women's sex organs are removed unnecessarily at alarming rates. Keep in mind that with breasts, they'll do lumpectomies. Similarly, a gyn skilled in cystectomy can usually remove an ovarian cyst leaving the ovary intact. Here's some info on ovarian cysts -
Ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer

Here's a video of the functions of the female organs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IOSj1l7w

Hope this is nothing serious!

someonewhocares3 responded:
What did you find out? Hopefully nothing serious!

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center