Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Diagnosised with an ovarian mass
eskaymywienerdog posted:
I was recently diagnosised with a 4,5cm solid soft tissue mass. It was found with an ultrasound. I am 39 years old, and very confused. Everything I am reading says to get it out, yet the doctor I saw said to wait until after the new year and repeat the ultrasound. I feel like I am getting put off because I don't have any insurance, and at the moment no income. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

someonewhocares3 responded:
I just noticed your post. So sorry you're dealing with this! Have you gotten a copy of the ultrasound report? Does it say anything more than "a 4.5cm solid soft tissue mass?"

Here are a couple of sources of info on ovarian cysts -
http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm
Ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer

I developed an ovarian cyst (which looked somewhat suspicious on ultrasound). My gyn rushed me into surgery and removed my sex organs (uterus and both ovaries) even though the cyst was benign. This was against "his" oncologist's recommendation to only remove the one ovary. And I discovered afterwards that a surgeon skilled in doing cystectomies could probably have removed just the cyst leaving my ovary (as well as my uterus and other ovary) intact.

Hope this helps! And I hope you get some answers as to what this really is! Post back and let us know.

eskaymywienerdog replied to someonewhocares3's response:
Thanks for the reply. And yes I have a copy and it only states the solid soft tissue mass. I will check out the info you gave me. I honestly wish they would take it all out, because I have cysts on the other ovary, not to mention i am going to be 40 in a few months. But without insurance it has been hard to find anyone to help at all. thanks again

someonewhocares3 replied to eskaymywienerdog's response:
You didn't mention if you have a family history of ovarian cancer or if you have a lot of pain with the cysts but my post-hysterectomy experience has been a nightmare. I was 49 at the time of my surgery. Here's a video of the functions of the female organs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IOSj1l7w

I wish you the best getting the help you need!

eskaymywienerdog replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I was adopted, so unforunately I dont have any access to my family history. And there is alot of pain. Where the mass is on the right side it is always very sore. And the cyst on the left acts up but not every day. I am sorry that you had such a hard time with your experience. And I do really appreciate you taking the time to talk with me. it has been very comforting to have some one else to talk to about this. I love my boyfriend but he just is clueless about this stuff.

silvergirl38975 responded:
Please try to see a good gyn if possible and forget that waiting for the new year stuff my friend. Now , I know you probably could wait but not a good idea in my opinion. I was dx. with stg 4 ovca 16 years ago and have been there and done that so to speak. I was one of the lucky ones who managed to get through it all complete hysterectomy , chemo and all. Waiting is not a good idea in my opinion. My input for you. Be well. Jan

someonewhocares3 responded:
In my opinion, you should see a gyn oncologist instead of a regular gyn. And if you do have cancer but it's confined to the cyst or the ovary, a skilled surgeon should be able to remove only the cancerous tissue (cyst or ovary) leaving your uterus and other ovary intact. I know of women whose ovarian cancer was successfully treated this way. Think of it like breast cancer where they remove the lump instead of the whole breast (or even both breasts). Your sex organs have lifelong functions and their removal increases risk of all cause mortality, not to mention the profound effects on quality of life.

BUT, hopefully, you don't even have cancer! Sending healing thoughts!

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center