Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

ovarian cancer
tinanevling posted:
I am going for a transvaginal, im awaiting a pap. my blood work shows a high level i think they said fsh or t something? but stated wanted to do this xray looking for tumor? i have all the sins of cancer. just scared to death

someonewhocares3 responded:
The FSH test is used to determine if a woman is post-menopausal. It doesn't have any usefulness in diagnosing ovarian cancer. The CA-125 test is the test for ovarian cancer but it is NOT accurate in diagnosing ovarian cancer (OC). There can be a very high level but no cancer or there can be a low (normal) level with cancer present. However, it does have some usefulness in assessing the effectiveness of OC treatment.

A woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is 1.7% absent a family history of OC. Most cysts are benign and resolve on their own (although at this point it sounds like you don't even know if you have a cyst).

Here are a couple of sources of info on ovarian cysts and OC -
http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm
Ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer

I developed an ovarian cyst (which looked somewhat suspicious on ultrasound). My gyn rushed me into surgery and removed my sex organs (uterus and both ovaries) even though the cyst was benign. This was against "his" oncologist's recommendation to only remove the one ovary. And I discovered afterwards that a surgeon skilled in doing cystectomies could probably have removed just the cyst leaving my ovary (as well as my uterus and other ovary) intact.

Hope this helps!

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center