Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Surviving OC...
MsLee7 posted:
Hi. I am a Stage 4 Ovarian @ Stage 2 Uterus Cancer survivor, Diagnosed in 2003 at the age of 44. I had total surgery and did a 1 1/2 yrs of Chemo (Taxol &Carboplatin).

I was diagnosed earlier in 2002 (almost a yr exactly before the OC)with a DVT, which led to finding I had Factor V Lieden(clotting factor)& at some time before this ,I had apparently had a Pulmonary Embolism, for I had scar tissue. Now, I take Cuomidin everyday. I also have a Vena Cava filter.

I am now feeling pretty good but I find I have hotflashes and no sexual desire, though I think about it, but find it basically not there. I am only 54 , single and would like to possibly have a relationship again somewhere down the line.

I was told that i could not do hormone replacements because of the cancer...so what to do???

Hope someone out there can give me some ideas....

seekingimmortality responded:
I wonder who told you that you could not do hormone replacement because of the cancer. Estrogen replacement will take care of your hot flashes, but it does increase the risk of blood clot formation. Since you are taking a blood thinner, this may have been contraindicated. I don't see how this can be a cancer issue unless you are concerned about breast cancer. The ovaries also secrete a minute quantity of testosterone which is responsible for libido. Since you had a total hysterectomy, testosterone replacement may be all you need to bring back your libido.

someonewhocares3 replied to seekingimmortality's response:
Just adding my 2 cents -
According to this study, there are only a small number of gyn cancers for which HRT is an absolute contraindication and ovarian cancer is not one of them -
http://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:20018467

It's my understanding that oral estrogen has a higher risk of clots than transdermal since it has the first pass through the liver. Here's a link to an observational study -
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110517091639.htm .

justjudy1945 responded:
Hi, I am an OC Cancer survivor of 8 years.
When my daughter had fertility issues it was discovered that she had Leiden Factor V. I was tested and I have it, too. After my OC surgery I was carefully watched for blood clots, and given blood thinners. At this time I do nothing about the Factor V. I'd be interested in knowing what your doctor says about the FV in addition to giving you coumadin.
I'm very happy for you that you survived such a high stage cancer, and know how awful it must have been to do so much chemo. I did the chemo for just 6 treatments and much of the time felt pretty lousy. I wish you good health in the future.
I use vaginal estrogen and am told that very little gets into the blood stream. My oncological gynecologists have all told me the same thing. My main reason for using it is the incontinence I experienced after the hysterectomy. I'm 66, though, so maybe that is why I'm having a problem.
I'd be interested in any info you might be able to tell me about the Factor V. Thanks! justjudy1945

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center