Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Ovarian caner
babygem79 posted:
Hi. I am 32 and they just found lots of ovarian cyst on both ovaries. I have all the symptems of ovarian cancer. I have really bad pain where my colon is. Do you think I have ovarian cancer?

someonewhocares3 responded:
MOST ovarian cysts are benign and don't require any treatment although they can cause pelvic pain, bloating, and even bleeding between periods. Ovarian cancer is very rare while benign ovarian cysts are quite common. You can read about ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer here -
Ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer

Do you maybe have PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)? It's hallmark is numerous ovarian cysts. Women with PCOS have irregular cycles because they don't ovulate regularly. Another symtpom is signs of androgen excess which can cause acne and hirutism.

Hope this helps! Post back and let us know what you find out.

someonewhocares3 responded:
Forgot to mention - The CA-125 test isn't accurate in diagnosing ovarian cancer. It has a high rate of false positives (indicating cancer when there is none). It's more useful in assessing the effectiveness of ovarian cancer treatment (e.g., chemo).

Nomojo21 replied to someonewhocares3's response:
Can radiologists differientiate a regular cyst and a cancerous cyst from the ultrasound?

someonewhocares3 replied to Nomojo21's response:
Radiologists should be able to differentiate a "regular" cyst from one that MAY be cancerous. The specifics can be found in the link I provided. There's a paragraph shortly after the Q&A's that starts "The features of a benign or malignant ovarian cyst can often be seen with an ultrasound." Read that paragraph for further details. However, it would be good to read the entire link about ovarian cysts.

My gyn of 20 years used ovarian cancer scare tactics to rush me into surgery. Despite a benign frozen section of the cyst, he and two gyn residents removed both ovaries and my uterus. This was against the recommendation of "his" oncologist to remove just the one ovary.

I wish I'd known more about the high rate of unnecessary female organ removal and the dangers of Graduate Medical Education programs. I also wish I'd trusted my inner voice. My trust in my gyn trumped my intuition.

As indicated in the link I provided, the HERS Foundation can help you understand your diagnosis and treatment options if the cyst warrants treatment. Best to you!

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center