Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Ovarian Cysts, possible cancer??
tmossey1 posted:
Hello, I am a 37 years old and have been experiencing a wide variety of symptoms for quite sometime now. It first started with irregular spotting in between periods, and pain after sex, which the dr was not at all concerned with. About a year and half ago, I started to feel just generally unwell, from there a variety of other symptoms started to emerge. Bloating, feeling of fullness, not being able to empty the bladder, always feeling constipated, but not. Chest pains, intermintent lower back ache and so on. About 3 weeks ago, I got a severe sudden onset of pain in my lower back that made me unable to move, was rushsed to emergency, where they druged me up and sent me home. The assumption was I had done something to my back, and was treated as such for about 3 weeks. Right from the start I didn't feel it was something in my back, as the pain was going right through my abdomen. And although that horrendous pain I had that day is gone, I have been left with a constant nagging lower back ache that goes right through to my abdomen. I cannot sit for longer than 30min at a time, wtihout being in great discomfort. So, now my dr is ordering some tests, and is starting to look at the issue being in my abdomen rather than my back. I am looking for anyone who has had similar symptoms and a recieved a diagnosis. Help please??

someonewhocares3 responded:
So sorry you're dealing with this! I had some of those symptoms but only briefly - less than a month. It ended with one day of unrelenting pain that caused me to see my gyn. A pelvic exam and transvaginal ultrasound revealed a grapefruit sized ovarian cyst. I had a CT scan the following day (not sure this radiation exposure was really needed). My gyn used ovarian cancer scare tactics and scheduled surgery for the following week. Despite a frozen section showing the cyst was benign, my gyn and two gyn residents proceeded to remove the rest of my female organs - my other ovary and my uterus. I've struggled with the hormonal and anatomical changes ever since.

If you're diagnosed with ovarian cysts, it's important to know that MOST are benign. If non-surgical treatment (e.g., birth control pills) doesn't resolve them enough to give you symptom relief and they need to be surgically removed, a surgeon skilled in doing cystectomies may be able to remove just the cyst(s) leaving your ovary(ies) for the essential hormones that they produce.

You can read about ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer here -
Ovarian cysts and ovarian cancer

Please post back and let us know what you find out. I hope it's nothing serious!

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center