Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Ovarian cancer/cyst symptoms?
An_246508 posted:
I'm a 19 year old female. For the past three months or so I've been feeling very cramp-y, with pain in my abdominal area and my lower and upper back. I have also had frequent/painful urination and a feeling of fullness in my stomach. My period has been very irregular when normally it's spot on. I have also been having stomach pain after intercourse and a dramatic loss of appetite. I feared pregnancy but I took tests and they came up negative, I really don't think that is it. Could I possibly have an Ovarian cyst/cancer?

katelynn123 responded:
I would ask your PMC (primary care manager) to refer you to your gyno, so that he can perform a few tests on you. Your gyno can feel if you have a cyst or perform a vaginal ultrasound and get a better look. I would ask to have a CT Scan to detect a cyst. I have similar symptoms, except i don't have upper pain and I have a few cysts on my right ovary. It's mighty painful.
I did have similar symptoms when I was pregnant the first time. Make sure you tell your gyno about your concerns and I pray you get relief.

Kat

Anon_6061 responded:
Sounds like it could be an ovarian cyst; they're common. Ovarian cancer is very rare - less than 2% risk.

A transvaginal ultrasound is usually all that's needed to view a cyst. If it looks suspicious then a CT scan may be helpful but otherwise, there's no need to have that radiation and additional expense (yours or the insurance company's).

Most cysts go away on their own and don't need any monitoring (additional u/s) or treatment. Hopefully, that will be the case for you.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center