Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Postmenopausal Ovarian Cysts
An_246758 posted:
I am 59, postmenopausal and during an annual exam found ovarian cysts on both ovaries (Rt 35mm; Volume 18.3ml; Lt 28mm volume: 12.4ml) confirmed by a sonogram. CA125 test result of 3 This is the first occurence of any cysts. Doctor recommending immediate surgery to test for cancer and to remove ovaries. My preference is to not have surgery but to wait and check progress of cysts (every 2-3 mos) to see if they may disappear. Any thoughts, comments or opinions greatly appreciated.

Anon_6061 responded:
Your desire to monitor them sounds reasonable to me. I developed a cyst on one of my ovaries although mine was quite a bit larger than yours. My gynecologist used ovarian cancer scare tactics and rushed me into surgery. Even though the cyst was benign, he removed BOTH ovaries and my uterus. I had NO other female problems.

Had I listened to my intuition instead of trusting him and allowing fear to take over, I would have insisted on monitoring the cyst and then if it had to be removed, I would have sought out a surgeon to do a cystectomy (if at all possible) so that I could keep ALL my sex organs. I've suffered horribly since having my organs removed despite being on hormones. I've even aged overnight.

Ovarian cysts are common and almost always benign; however, I believe they are more concerning after menopause. But a woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is less than 2%. A transvaginal ultrasound should give some indication of the possibility of cancer. A CT scan is sometimes done too.

Here are a couple of links about ovarian cysts and cancer -
http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/ovary/page1/AllPages#6

Hope the cysts go away on their own and you don't need surgery.

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center