Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Ovarian cancer, cyst, or something else?
An_248724 posted:
I am 40 years old and have been having some troubling symptoms in the past few weeks. About my history first...I had gastric bypass 5 years ago and prior to that I had PCOS for over 25 years. After I lost 160 pounds I became fertile and periods returned to normal. I have had three missed miscarriages in the past 2-1/2 years and one successful pregnancy. I have a healthy 15 month old at home. During my pregnancy with my son, I know that I had an ovarian cyst show up on ultrasounds. I think it was 3 or 4 cm at the time. I've also had other cysts and enlarged ovaries in the past. I have had abnormal cells show up on my pap smears in the past (but I know that is cervical, not ovarian). My last miscarriage was 8 months ago (down syndrome) and so far I have been unable to conceive again. With the other 4 pregnancies it only took 2-3 months. My cycle is also getting shorter each month during the past few months (down to 25 days now). Periods normally last around 3 days.

For about 4-6 weeks now, I have been having occasional sharp pains in the left pelvic area and in the center, as well as alot of cramping (not just during my period). For about that same length of time I have felt full quickly and not been able to eat much. I also have had urinary frequency/urgency and thought that I had a UTI twice but tested negative. During the last 2-3 weeks, I have had severe lower abdominal bloating, nausea, shortness of breath. I have been trying for some time to lose weight and cannot lose even at 1200-1500 calories and working on with a personal trainer 3 days a week. I haven't had much unusual bleeding but I have had some spotting a few times (bright red and very small amount).

I do have a family history of both ovarian and breast cancer. I'm concerned that these could be signs of ovarian cancer. I did have a CT scan a couple days ago and am waiting for my doctor's appt tomorrow afternoon.

An_251897 responded:
The good news for you is that you no longer need to subject yourself to a transvaginal ultrasound in order to determine the presence of ovarian and endometrial cancer. There was a massive OBGYN convention in New Orleans the weekend before last, and one of the top stories in the official event program was on this very topic.

A simple pap smear may now be sufficient to make such a diagnosis, so you've got no reason to postpone being tested.

You can read more about it here: http://blogs.health24.com/vitaminpete/pap-smear-cancer-detection-transvaginal-ultrasound/

sam1985 replied to An_251897's response:
If you are looking for some detailed information visit: http://www.empowereddoctor.com/8019/cancer-treatment-center-tulsa/

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center