Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

What, how did this happen?
Carole923 posted:
I am 72 years old, I have never been sick, never had an operation and have all my parts, so when my stomach swelled and I couldn't really eat I went for an X-Ray and I had a fluid build up and end-stage OC. WHAT? They drained the fluid, but of course it comes back, a tumor on my overy that has spread to stomach, liver, chest and who knows where else. They want to do surgery and chemo and I questioned chemo and was told with surgey alone it would come back in 3 months. With chemo (which could be a 6 month treatment) they couldn't say how long. So many people go through all that and it returns, I know it's going to kill me, so how far do you go? I am very confused because quality of life is slipping away and I am getting older. If I were young, no question, but I live alone, no close relatives near, some good friends, it all seems so useless to take a journey of suffering now.

lluter responded:
Carole, I'm so sorry to hear of the journey you're about to embark upon. You have difficult decisions to make but unfortunately, no one but you can do that. You said you have some good friends. That's good, and I hope that you have a good primary care physician you can sit down with and have some frank and honest discussion about the best way for you to approach this. I can see quality of life is important for you and clearly some of the therapies my profession would offer you will take that away. But these treatments are all we know to do. Cancer treatment isn't designed in a way that a 20 year old gets different treatment than what you'd receive. Because all 72 year olds aren't the same either.

I wish you the best and peace in your mind and heart. Take care.

Carole923 replied to lluter's response:
I have some good news, I have a great oncologist, a good team including a surgeon. I am starting a 3 round course of chemo, then surgery, then 3 more courses. I had the first last week and I swear I felt it work immediately. My breathing is better, my stomach mass is less and although some days were rough, I feel so much better just a week later. I am also in a clinical trail where they will make a vaccine from my tumor and after gene manipulation and radiation will give it to me as a vaccine and my own body will form anti-bodies against future cancer cells. When I wrote here it was after my initial diagnosis, but I have turned around. I see now quality of life has to do with the mind/body combonation and now I feel realy to see the journey as a callenge against cancer.
I am optimistic of a good outcome and I have great support from friends and fanily, I am not afaraid and actually am excited for the trial! Thanks for your reply, I am now feeling much younger than 72!

lluter replied to Carole923's response:
That is truly exciting news. You sound so "up" and that has to help you feel better. I'm not an oncologist, but just a family physician. And as such, I know a positive and upbeat patient when I see one. And though I can't see you, I can feel the positivity in your tone. Keep it up and know that I'm wishing the very best outcome for you.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center