Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Ovarian pain, irregular period
gary_gary_2012 posted:
Hello everyone, I read a lot of the posts on this site and everyone seems really helpful, so I thought I'd try posting here as a last resort. My girlfriend has been going through quite a rough patch for the past 4 months. One night her and I were just fooling around ( no sex ), I was just playing with her, she was on her period, it was light. At the end of it, her period completely stopped.
After few days she started complaining about pain in her ovaries, her period started coming every other week regularly, like after every week. This started in September and happened till December and now she hasn't gotten her period in about a month and a half.
She went and got a pap smear done and everything came fine there.
She's really freaking out.
I have tried looking extensively online but someone's saying something, other person is saying something else.
I just need some pointers as to what it could be ? any thoughts ?
i don't expect a full diagnosis and understand it could be multitude of things, but just need some direction so that I could relay this information to her and explain to her ....

Anon_6061 responded:
Ovarian cancer is rare so it's likely not that. Irregular periods are quite common especially in teens, young women (you didn't mention your gf's age) and middle aged women. One cause is missed ovulations. Some women experience pain with ovulation. Ovarian cysts can also cause pain as well as irregular periods. However, they're usually nothing to be concerned about and typically go away on their own. Here's some info about them -
http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm. If your gf is on birth control, it sometimes takes awhile (up to 6 months) for cycles and periods to normalize after starting the birth control. And sometimes different BC's have to be tried because they aren't "one size fits all."

Of course, no one on an online forum can diagnose your gf; only a doctor can do that.

gary_gary_2012 replied to Anon_6061's response:
She is 28
She has never been on birth control.

Anything other thoughts ?

gary_gary_2012 replied to gary_gary_2012's response:
She has also been having a yellow discharge, does that mean anything ?

Anon_6061 replied to gary_gary_2012's response:
Some women tend to have discharge - don't know if hers is something to be concerned about or not. A doctor would need to determine that.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center