Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

cyst
crazieone67 posted:
I HAVE A 3.9 CM CYST BEEN ON THERE FOR OVER 4YRS NOW I HAVE CRAMPS WHEN IT IS TIME FOR ME TO OVALATE BUT I HAD PARTICAL HYST DONE IN 1996 STILL HAVE RIGHT OVARY AND PART OF LEFT SHOULD I BE CONCERN

Anon_6061 responded:
If the same cyst has been there for 4 years and you've been under a doctor's care then it doesn't seem like it would be a problem or he/she would have done something by now. Has it grown much recently?

Do you have a copy of your latest imaging report? If so, what does it say about the characteristics of the cyst besides the size? A cyst is concerning when it's complex - has some solid matter and septations. MOST cysts are benign, complex cysts included. Ovarian cancer is very rare - less than 2% during a woman's lifetime.

Most cysts don't need to be removed unless they get too large since that can cause ovarian torsion. And then there are some types that won't go away that require removal. If it needs to be removed, it's best to just have the cyst removed (cystectomy) so you can keep your ovary and the hormones it produces. However, It's common for surgeons to unnecessarily remove the ovary either because he/she doesn't have cystectomy skills or because it's more profitable. If the cyst warrants removal, a frozen section can be done while you're in the operating room. If it's benign, then there shouldn't be any need to remove any other tissue. Here's a link about ovarian cysts - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center