Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Facebook Chemotherapy Group
eag20 posted:
I am a graduate student at the University of West Florida's Department of Communication Arts and would like to invite you to participate in a research study focusing on computer-mediated communication and chemotherapy. This study will assess the communication patterns involved in support group participation by gathering data through a private Facebook group, Chemo Chat. You may participate if you are currently undergoing chemotherapy. Please do not participate if you are no longer undergoing chemotherapy.

As a participant, you will be asked to communicate within the Facebook group, Chemo Chat. By reading the communication on the wall within this group, I can establish to what extent the group might affect patient-to-patient interactions. You are encouraged to log on and communicate with other group members at least once per week and are not limited to any particular subject while communicating.

Using Chemo Chat as a Facebook community is the least costly method of research within the chemotherapy community, and allows me to quickly assess conversations and retrieve data. It also provides me the opportunity to add a level of confidentiality by keeping the group closed, or private. This means that the only users who can view any of the group content are the Chemo Chat members.

When reviewing the posts of other group members, you may not feel comfortable discussing personal health information. To minimize this risk and ensure confidentiality, Chemo Chat has been designed as an invitation-only, or closed group, which means that only the administrator, Emily Garber, and all other invited group members can view the posts. All other Chemo Chat group members are current chemotherapy patients. After the Chemo Chat research project is completed on April 1, 2013, the administrator, Emily Garber, will keep the group on Facebook but will no longer be collecting data from the posts. The data gathered for this capstone project will be used for a final project presentation to the graduate faculty and graduate students of the University of West Florida's Department of Communication Arts in April.

In order to participate, please log on to your Facebook profile and request to become a member of Chemo Chat, at http://www.facebook.com/groups/chemochat/

You must also sign the Informed Consent to Participate in Research Study form, which can be accessed at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YC0XtvUtFKKD6AmzOWh0IK9UJzPwNs3-hmDLrykG1Ig/edit and e-mail the signed document to the administrator, at eag20@students.uwf.edu

You will be added shortly thereafter by the administrator, Emily Garber.

Thank you for your participation!

If you have questions later, please contact my advisor, Dr. Brendan Kelly, at bkelly@uwf.edu or 850-474-2332

Ester25 responded:
Hi live in scotland asked to join your Facebook chemo chat not sure if i can get consent form signed as its a on line document and dont know how to down load it so i can sign it then email to you. Help please would like to join in with your as study and make new friends in the same situation as myself. Thanks G Y

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center