Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

4 cm complex ovarian cyst
Lawanna75 posted:
I had an ultrasound and trans-vaginal ultrasound done last friday and now today a week later I just found out that I have a 4 cm complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary. I have been having pain for the last six months and I had a pap last November and all came back normal even though I was hurting at that time too. I have done some research and I have all the symptoms of ovarian cancer and I am freaking out now that I have researched the 4 cm complex ovarian cyst on the computer today. I have already had a cyst on my ovary rupture and my ovary had to be pieced back together in 1996 and I was in the hospital for a week. In 2008 I had exploratory surgery done again and my fallopian tube was fused to my colon from the scar tissue from the ovary surgery. In 2010 I had a C-Section to deliver my second son and now I am having all this abdominal pain, bloating, gas, full feeling, frequent urination, constipation, bleeding from my vagina when I have a straigned bowel movement and it is not time for my period. I am kinda of aggravated and confused because my doctors office did not mention that a complex cyst could be cancerous and then I do all this research and have all the symptoms of ovarian cancer and my doctor fails to mention that complex cyst could be cancerous because he is going on vacation next week. I need some medical advice from a medical oncologist or someone who has been through this. Please help.

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry for what you're going through. Please take a deep breath - I know, easier said than done. Yes, complex cysts can be cancerous but most are not. And they can cause the same symptoms as ovarian cancer. This link may be helpful - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

I had a 9cm complex ovarian cyst and my gynecologist did the opposite and instilled fear of OC and rushed me into surgery. Even though the cyst was benign (based on the frozen section done while I was under anesthesia), he removed both ovaries, my uterus, and tubes. My life and health went into a tailspin.

Have you gotten a copy of the transvaginal ultrasound? You could take that to a reputable oncologist and get his/her opinion. If there's any possibility of cancer, you would want an oncologist to do the surgery anyway.

If it's possible, you'll want to keep your ovary so you'll want to see if the surgeon does many cystectomies. What about the surgeon who did your other one? Developing scar tissue is normal but I'm surprised that you were in the hospital for a week. Did something go wrong with that surgery or the recovery?

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center