Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

uturs cancer
An_251329 posted:
I had a ultra sound done I am 60 years old and I was told my uturs had thicken linnind of 12mm is this normal for my age ?
Now the doctor want to do an in office endometrial biopsy
Should I get a second option?

Anon_6061 responded:
Here's a link that talks about endometrium thickness - http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/21/6/1409.full. If you're postmenopausal, see the section titled "postmenopausal endometrium." (There's a table of contents on the right so you can click on that section and it will take you to it.) Sometimes polyps or even some fibroids can make the lining look thicker than it is. A biopsy will check to see if there are any abnormal cells. If there are, medication is oftentimes effective in treating it. Let us know what you find out. Hope it's nothing serious!

Anon_6061 responded:
I should have also said (especially since you put "cancer" in your title), that abnormal cells oftentimes don't equate to cancer. This link explains endometrial hyperplasia and treatment options - http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=3184. Hysterectomy is the most overused surgery after c-section (ACOG says 76% don't meet their criteria) so if this is suggested, be sure to understand your condition and treatment options. The uterus has functions beyond reproduction.

burberrydebbie responded:
Ok, I don't mean to scare you, but I wish someone had told me how painful a uterine biopsy was. I have never had children which I understand can make a difference, but the cramping was incredible. When I needed a second biopsy in the same place, I asked the doctor if he could put me "under". He suggested a D&C, which was not bad at all. I experienced some small cramping at home, and I was able to stay home from work and watch my favorite movies on TV for three days .. Dr's orders!

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center