Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

ovarian cysts
erika40long posted:
what are hemorragic cyts ? i have complex hemorragic cysts that are septated and a Left ovarianm mass with complex componet what does this mean? The test results also said that a cytic neoplasm can not be excluded? I'm confused Can someone hepl me ?

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm sorry for what you're going through. Hemorrhagic means that it's blood-filled, Complex means that it contains some solid matter versus just fluid. Most cysts are benign but complex ones CAN be malignant although MOST are not. This link explains the various types of ovarian cysts - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm .

I had a 9cm complex ovarian cyst that looked somewhat suspicious. My gynecologist of 20 years instilled fear of ovarian cancer and rushed me into surgery. Even though the cyst was benign (based on the frozen section done while I was under anesthesia), he removed both ovaries, my uterus, and tubes. Even though I was nearing menopause, the loss my uterus and hormones caused profound changes to every aspect of my life and health, even my appearance (I aged rapidly). I discovered that an intact woman's ovaries produce hormones into her 80's and that hormone replacement is nothing like our bodies' own hormones.

If the cysts need to be removed, there's a procedure called cystectomy (mentioned in the link I provided) that would allow you to keep your ovaries. But you would want to find a surgeon who has cystectomy skills and does a number of these surgeries. And if there's even a small chance of cancer, you'd be best having a gynecology oncologist do the surgery.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you find out and how treatment goes.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center