Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

2 cysts after hysterectomy
Ankie posted:
I had a vaginal hysterectomy, kept ovaries, in April 2012. My ob/gyn finally had an ultrasound done, after I insisted. He had me see my gastro doc first, because he thought my pain was related to the Crohn's Disease I have, which is currently in remission. But the pain was not related to the Crohn's. I was having lower abdominal pain, severe bloating, low back pain, gas, low energy, urine loss, not able to completely empty my bladder, weight gain and pelvic pain. Even pain in my upper thighs. I had also had prolapse surgery during the hysterectomy and a revision of the rectocele plus a bladder sling in December 2012. Not surprising to me, the ultrasound showed 2 cysts on my right ovary. One was 3.5 centimeters and the other measures 2.5 centimeters. My ovary is also enlarged to almost 6 centimeters. The doc then wants me to return in 3 months and just "wait & watch", in the meantime! So after 2 weeks, I'm awaken at 1 am with severe pain in my lower abdomen, and pain on my right side, along with horrible low back pain. My ob/gyn does an ultrasound in his office as soon as we get there and sees that now there is 1 cyst on the right ovary. He's not sure which one, but one of them has burst/disappeared. The one remains is 3.5 centimeters. I will return in 2 months from my last ultrasound to have my 3rd ultrasound. My CA-125 test was negative. But, I do not know if I'm in post-menopause yet, or not. I will be having a blood test for that tomorrow. I am on Estrace cream 3 times a week, which is supposed to help strengthen the tissue in the vaginal area. I also have Crohn's and Ankylosing Spondylitis. Reading the other posts, I am now aware that having only 1 ovary with cysts gives me a higher chance of ovarian cancer. My ob/gyn says not to worry, that a lot of women have ovarian cysts. So, now I will just "wait, watch, wonder & worry".

Anon_6061 responded:
Ovarian cysts are quite common but seem more prevalent after hysterectomy. It's as if the ovaries continue trying to do their normal functions with the uterus but can't because the uterus is gone. This is borne out by studies showing an approximate 40% risk of ovarian failure after hysterectomy.

Most ovarian cysts are benign and even resolve on their own without treatment. And the risk of ovarian cancer is less than 2% for women without a family history but it's even lower for women who've had a hysterectomy - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8134758 .

The CA-125 test isn't totally accurate in diagnosing OC especially in premenopausal women. This link talks about ovarian cysts - http://www.ovaryresearch.com/ovarian_cysts.htm.

Helpful Tips

Submit Ovarian Cancer Fighter
Know of someone going through ovarian cancer? Let us help them! I am a cancer survivor that recently started a cancer awareness apparel ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center