Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

How did it start for you?
An_253518 posted:
Hi,
Last year I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance. As soon as I changed my diet, all my digestive trouble went away. About 4-5 months ago however, I started feeling as if I couldn't eat anything anymore again: I was constantly constipated, then having bouts of diarrhea. I lost my appetite and started losing weight. For the past 6 weeks approximately now, I have been having intense daily lower back pain and pelvic pain; it's a feeling of tightness, fullness, bloating, unrelated to my menstruation and present 24/7. This has been accompanied by a drastic increased need to urinate. I went to the OB/GYN, and all standard tests came back negative. He put me on 2 antibiotics for 10 days, which messed up my stomach so badly. I went back because the pelvic pain was still there. He sent me for a pelvic and a transvaginal ultrasound, and made a temporary diagnosis of endometriosis and prescribed me the pill, which I didn't start taking yet because I wanted to hear from the ultrasound results. My understanding was that endometriosis pain occurred during and around your periods. The report from the ultrasound is in, and the radiologist wrote: "The left ovary contains a simple 2.4 cm cyst. In the upper endometrial cavity, there is a focus of hyperechoic nodularity measuring up to 14 mm suggestive of an endometrial polyp. If associated symptoms are present or if this persists on followup sonography, hysterosonography might be considered for better delineation." The cyst is not too surprising with my 20-year-old history of PCOS. Although heavy my entire life, my periods have been very regular, and I haven't had any bleeding between periods. The nurse told me they got the report, and I asked if the doctor could call me back because the pain has been worsening. I can very honestly say I am not a hypochondriac or a wimp: I gave birth naturally and rarely go to the doctor, but my quality of life is simply getting very poor and I just feel that the doctor (I moved and he's new) has been brushing my complaints off since the beginning and is being unresponsive, i.e. he hasn't called me back to comment on the report and address my concerns. Does his preliminary diagnosis sound accurate, or would it make sense for me to seek a second opinion? I just feel like my pelvic area is on fire and about to explode, and all the GYN says is "well, on pelvic exam, I don't feel anything, just take the pill."
Thank you!
K-
(34)

Anon_6061 responded:
Sorry no one replied. I know some women who had endometrial polyps who had some of the same symptoms you're experiencing. If the symptoms continue and there's no other explanation, it may be worth having the polyp removed. It's a fairly simple procedure called a polypectomy - sort of like snipping off a skin tag.

The ovarian cyst (being small) probably wouldn't be causing those symptoms. And, yes, having PCOS, I'd think the symptoms would be similar to previous ovarian cysts.

sam1985 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes anon you are absolutely correct as you are actually reffering to my present situation and i have a appointment with http://www.empowereddoctor.com/ lets see what happens.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center