Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

New CA 125 News inspires optimism
bookbah posted:
Hi: An article in Bioscience Technology notes that, to detect cancer earlier, doctors may simply need to test for CA125 levels more regularly. It is the change in tests that may matter. See "Ovarian Cancer Screening Test Prompts Optimism for the First Time," which is a lay article on the topic, on the Bioscience Technology website.

Or just go straight to the journal that published the most recent academic paper: Cancer, "A 2-stage ovarian cancer screening strategy using the Risk of Ovarian Cancer Algorithm (ROCA) identifies early-stage incident cancers and demonstrates high positive predictive value." The CA125 test has been around for years, so is easily available. Good luck!

deande responded:
That's interesting. I wish more doctors would test for it. I've seen a lot of posts that say it's inaccurate, and insurance companies do not want to pay for it. My doctor refuses to test for it, even though I'm having pain, am bloated and have troublesome cysts, missed periods, etc. I had one years ago within normal limits, so it would be interesting to see whether the number has changed.

bookbah replied to deande's response:
Hi-- A single CA 125 test is inaccurate. But that study indicates you need to take the test a few times, over a certain period. The difference in the scores matters, not one single score. If you are really worried, bring the academic paper discussed in the article to your doctor. The test is petty cheap, you can pay for it out of pocket if you have to. Worth it for the peace of mind, maybe? Good luck!

Helpful Tips

ovarian cyst
I am in severe pain and have been diagnosed with a 5cm cyst. what should I do next? More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center