Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

We will be discontinuing this community as of April 1, 2014. We value and appreciate your participation in this community and hope that you will continue to post your questions in the WebMD Cancer Community.

Should I be worried? Push for more testing?
An_254116 posted:
I have had a lot of gynecologic problems over the past few years. Unfortunately I am a DES daughter and have had problems with pre-cervical cancer and had a colposcopy and a leep. I have had a lot of bleeding issues as well and last year I had endometrial biopsy that came back neg and then subsequently endometrial ablation. I have had a negative pap for one year now yet I am still finding that I have pelvic pressure. For a while my doctor told me that I was suffering from a pelvic infection and put me on medication. However when I went in for my check up I told him that I noticed new symptoms. The pelvic pressure is pretty much constant, told him that it was an odd full feeling that won't go away. I am worn out, do not have the energy I used to, that my kids and husband are noticing. They are also noticing things that I thought were my imagination, that I am having a hard time eating, I am full almost immediately after I start eating and I am going to the bathroom more than I ever did when I was pregnant. Which by the way I am not, with the ablation and my tubes are tied and my husband had a vasectomy as well. I also noticed a in late spring that my lower back was starting to hurt. I spoke with my regular doctor who suggested I go to my ob/gyn and I did. He ran a full blood panel and also ordered a transvaginal ultrasound (done in his office). I have had so many paps in the past two years that they definitely seem quicker to me than ones I used to have and I almost felt like even though I was telling my doctor that I was experiencing these symptoms he really wasn't listening to me. He said that the ultrasound came back neg, that the tech said that she saw an ovarian follicle. My Dr said that he thought that was the issue and that I should be feeling better soon. I explained to him that it had been months of feeling like this and not just sudden ovarian pain or pelvic pressure. He told me that if symptoms persisted that maybe I should see my regular doctor because it could be gastrointestinal related. I tried to explain to him that it was low in my pelvis, but alas he said to see my other doctor. Now October I am finding that these symptoms have not gone away. The bloating/fullness is constant, I have put on weight even though I hardly eat anything and most definitely consume less than I used to. Besides that and the other symptoms I mentioned previously, I am noticing that now I am having issues with my bowels and recently that intercourse has become positionally painful. I feel like maybe I am reading too much into it on the one hand, because I was told I had kidney cancer back in 2005 and after months of testing, everything came back fine and my doctors couldn't explain that. I still have my kidneys and am tested regularly to make sure and still clean bill of health on them. Cancer runs in my family, with all of this said…I am wondering am I reading to much into this? Should I find another doctor to check me out further? My husband is under that impression that because the Dr said the ultrasound is fine, then I should be good, but that doesn't explain why I feel like this or what is causing it.

Thank you for reading and letting me babble.

Anon_6061 responded:
The ablation along with the tubal may be the culprit of your pain, a symptom of Post Ablation Syndrome. There are over 200 posts on a WebMD Endometrial Ablation Side Effects discussion - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649/202#202.

The uterine lining is scarred with ablation, But the lining continues to build based on the hormonal actions of the ovaries. The blood gets trapped behind the scar causing engorgement (especially if the procedure has the result of stopping periods altogether). The blood can also back up into the tubes. Sometimes ablation scars the cervix making it stenotic thus no way for any blood to escape. Some women have had to have their cervix dilated to rid their uterus of accumulated blood.

This link provides a list of studies about post ablation problems:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?linkname=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=9050666

This study http://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/Fulltext/2008/12000/Previous_Tubal_Ligation_Is_a_Risk_Factor_for.6.aspx addresses the probability of hysterectomy after ablation. The younger a woman is at the time of ablation, the greater the risk that she'll undergo hysterectomy. The risk is 40% for women younger than 40.

I didn't have an ablation but had an unnecessary hysterectomy 7 years ago. It has its own set of permanent problems. Hopefully, you can get relief without going this route.

Helpful Tips

Ovarian Cancer Diagnostic tests: CA125 and ultrasoundExpert
Although the CA125 blood test has not been approved for ovarian cancer screening in asymptomatic women, it is useful in the diagnosis of ... More
Was this Helpful?
38 of 59 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Gynecological Center